Take two out of four

Study in two languages

Within the AMASE Master you do not only gain valuable knowledge in Materials Science and Engineering, you also learn two of the four most widespread European languages.

You study with local students and get to know the culture of your host countries, increasing your later job opportunities.

Apply now!


We would like you to read our FAQ before writing an e-mail. If the answers do not satisfy you entirely or some important issue is not present in the following list, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Application Process

How many universities do I have to choose?

One important aspects of the AMASE Master is the student’s mobility. Therefore, it is not possible to study at only one university during the 2 year programme. You will study at two universities and at two different training languages. Therefore you have to select two universities during the application. So you have to choose:

  • Your Entrance University(for the first and second semesters)
  • Your Second University(for the third semester). 

You can also give a second option for the Entrance and for the Second university. This will allow the Steering Committee to distribute the candidates evenly among the universities.

Tip: Choose the Entrance University (1st and 2nd option) according to your language knowledge. 

Erasmus Mundus Scholarship – Availability

Erasmus Mundus scholarship funding for AMASE are again available for the intakes 2021/22 until 2024/25. In total around 88 scholarships will be provided in the 4 intakes.

Erasmus Mundus Scholarship, who can apply?

Students of the whole world can apply for Erasmus Mundus scholarships. However, there are restrictions for students of the 6 countries of the programme, since EM scholarships in principle can not be given to a student to study in his/her home country (better said, in the country of his/her last degree).

Example: “I completed my Bachelor’s Degree in Spain. I’d like to choose UPC as Entrance University. Am I still eligible for the full ERASMUS Mundus Scholarship?”

No. To be considered for a full Erasmus Mundus scholarship, you have to choose two universities outside of the country you completed your previous degree in. For example: if you have a Spanish Bachelor and you want to continue studying in Spain, you will not be eligible for a scholarship during that time.

Exception: Students with a joint, multiple, double degree can select the award country of their choice (for example former Atlantis students)

How often can I apply for Erasmus Mundus?

The number of applications submitted by an individual per selection year is not limited, i.e. you can apply to as many projects as you are qualified for. However, if you have already benefited from one mobility activity in one selection year, you are no longer eligible for mobility within that project during that selection year.  

Can I apply without having finished my degree?

Simply fill in the degree you expect to receive. Once you have finished those studies, you can inform us of the results. Additionally there is the possibility to upload a form given by your university stating when you are going to finish your studies.


How many universities do I have to study at?

You have to study at two universities. It is not possible to study at only one university.

What could my mobility look like?

You will spend the first year (=two semesters) at your Entrance University. 

Then, you go to your Second University for your third semester (compulsory). 

For your Master thesis (fourth semester) you may choose to return to the Entrance University or to stay at your Second University (selectable). There is no possibility to study at a third university.

You have to study at two universities with different training language. For instance, you can not study at LTU and at UNIPD, since in both cases English is the training language.

Do I have to register in both universities?

Students who have MUL and UdS as one or both in their university combination must stay registered in both universities for the complete period of the 2 years of their studies.
For example, if you chose UPC as your Entrance University and MUL as your Second University, you must be registered from the beginning of the programme not only at UPC but also in MUL. The same would be if you start in one these two universities and for the second year you are in another one. Please make sure you re-register every semester in both universities.

Do I have to pay the semester fee at UdS in an additional transaction?

No, AMASE students at UdS do not need to pay the semester fee, EUSMAT will inform the student’s secretary (Studierendensekretariat) and the registration fees will be considered as paid for the semester. However, to enroll at UdS the students must first register in the SIM-Portal and submit an enrollment request.

How many ECTS do I have to earn and when?

At least 60 ECTS at the Entrance University in the first year.

In total at least 30 ECTS at the Second University in the third semester.

At least 30 ECTS from the Master Thesis in the fourth semester, completed at either the Entrance or Second University.

When do I have to arrive at the Entrance university at the latest?

The participation at the AMASE Integration Week is compulsory for all students. It takes place in the last week of August at Saarland University (Germany). Depending on your choice of Entrance University, you may have some free time afterwards. However, you have to make sure that you are present for your first lessons at your Entrance University. Therefore, please check in advance when these first lessons will take place.

Where do I write my Master’s Thesis?

This is up to you. You can either stay at the Second University or go back to your Entrance University.

May I write my Master’s Thesis in cooperation with the industry?

Yes, this is possible if certain requirements are met, which depends on the selected University for the Master thesis:

  • You will need the consent of a professor of the university to act as supervisor.
  • It is important that a scientific topic is chosen.
  • In some universities, a formal research cooperation between the professor at the university and the company is required.
Will I earn ECTS in language classes?

Yes, this is a compulsory part of the programme. Language courses are part of the module Transversal Skills (see structure of the programme). At least 6 ECTS and maximum 10 ECTS have to be obtained from language courses of the consortium languages (English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Catalan, Swedish).  

For further information about the language courses, please check the homepage of your respective university.

Language skills and learning

Will I earn ECTS in language classes?

Yes, this is a compulsory part of the programme and corresponds to the Transversal Skills module. At least 6 ECTS and maximum 10 ECTS are dedicated to language learning. These has to be done during the three first semesters and can be done at the Entrance and/or the Second univerisity, depending on the election of other credits belonging to the module Transversal Skills. For this module, 10 ECTS has to be obtained at the Entrance University and 5 ECTS at the Second University. 

For further information about the language courses, please check the homepage of your respective university.

Please note: You cannot replace ECTS in technical subjects with ECTS from language courses.

I do not speak the language of the first university yet. Can I still apply for AMASE?

If you do not have sufficient language knowledge for your Entrance University at the point of your registration, you cannot apply.

We require a proof of language knowledge to ensure that you will be able to follow the courses at the Entrance University.

For further information please check the section for requirements.

I do not speak the language of the Second University yet. Can I still apply for AMASE?

Yes, you can apply*. However, you will be required to learn the language of the Second University during the first year of study. However, we recomend you to start learning the language as soon as possible, even before the start of the programme.

Please note, at the end of your first year, you should be able to follow the classes in the language of instruction of the Second University.

*MUL: If you select MUL either as Entrance or Second University, you must provide an English certificate of at least B2 level by the time of your application (or by enrollment at latest).

May I learn the second language at my first university?

*MUL: If you select MUL either as Entrance or Second University, you must provide an English certificate of at least B2 level by the time of your application (by enrollment at latest).

When selecting the other universities: you’ll need to organize yourself well. In any case, you should start as soon as possible. During the first year of the Master, you will be able to attend language courses in order to prepare yourself for your stay at the Second University.

It might be necessary for you to take part in courses of the instruction language of the Entrance University, too.

*UdS: You must provide an official German certifcate of at least B2 level at latest by the end of the programme in order to get your Master’s degree.

Visa procedures

Please note: European students do not need any visa. If you are from a Non-EU-country (“third country student”), you’ll have to apply for a student visa. 

How long does a usual visa procedure take?

The duration of the visa procedure depends on your home country and on the agreement existing between your home country and the country where your first university is located. 

The visa procedure can take up to four to six months. It is advisable to start gathering information to make sure you are prepared when you receive your admission documents (sent via E-Mail or post).

*For students starting at MUL, the Austrian consulate requests an apostille on the degree certificate.

How often do I have to ask for a visa during my AMASE studies?

At least twice: The first time when you come to Europe. The second time, when you change to your Second University. If you choose to write your Master Thesis at your first university, you need to apply for a visa again. 

In any case, you will need a visa for two years from the beginning.

What does this mean for my personal organization?

When you arrive at your first university, you have to find a room and organize your timetable. During the first semester (until January) you should also apply for the visa for your next university. This helps you to be on time even if the embassies are not.

Where AMASE students come from