Studying in Nancy
Bank account and money
In order to rent a flat in France, normally a French bank account is required. A lot of different banks offer accounts for free or for little charge (BNP, Crédit Lyonnais, Crédit mutuel, etc.).
Health insurance is compulsory and is a must-have when registering at the university. Upon registration at the university, you will be offered the possibility to take out a French student health insurance. In general, you can choose between 2 student health organizations: Mutuelle Générale des Étudiants de L’Est (MGEL) and Mutuelle des Étudiants (LMDE). Your choice may, however, depend on the profession of your parents or partner/spouse. The cost average of the health insurance is about 200 €/year. The University Service of Preventative Medicine and Health Promotion (SUMPPS) is at your disposal for any medical issues: consultations, vaccinations, etc. A social worker is also at your disposal.
It is highly recommended to choose the French student health insurance which has several advantages:
- In most cases you will not need to pay health expenses in advance.
- You will be registered at a national level and will be acknowledged by social institutions like Caisse d’Allocations Familiales or others more easily.
- If you take out the French student health insurance you can be reimbursed for the costs of the AMASE private insurance package.
- Nevertheless: EU-students can choose to keep their pre-existing public insurance or students can take out the AMASE insurance.
CROUS student residences
CROUS is the “Centre Régional des Œuvres Universitaires et Scolaires”. CROUS student accommodation must be reserved as soon as possible.
The cheapest option is a “traditional room” but comfort standards are very basic. If you opt for this room, the “Saurupt” residence is the most convenient for easy access to the EEIGM by tramway. For students benefiting from Erasmus Mundus scholarships, only apartments from residences “Le Provençal” (T1 Bis) and “La battelière” (Studette) are available.
The students staying in Nancy for the whole academic year commit themselves to staying in the residence and pay rent for 10 months (from September 1st to June 30th): there is no possibility to change accommodation during the year.
Private residences close to the EEIGM
There are 3 private residences close to the EEIGM:
- “Les Estudines” (2 minute walk):
48 avenue du XXième Corps in Nancy; average price : 500 € per month (furnished studios; all service charges included)
- “Les Grands Moulins” (10 minute walk): 45, rue de Châteaux-Salins à Nancy;
average price: 440 € all service charges including electricity and heating
- “Espace 88” (5 minute walk): 29, rue Henri Bazin in Nancy;
average price: 340 € including service charges but heating is extra
If you opt for one of these 3 residences, the EEIGM will make the reservations for you – if there are vacancies.
Monthly living expenses
Count on using approximately 650€ – 700€ in Nancy per month. Remember, personal lifestyles cause this to vary.
- Accommodation: Approx. 200 – 350€ (with CAF 150€ – 300€)
- Grocery shopping approx. 200€
- Lunch at university, Resto U: 3,20€
- Eating out (Main course): <10€ for fast food, 10-15€ bistro, 10 – 30€ regular restaurant.
- Leisure: approx. 150€ (cinema, going out, sports), in France there are a lot of student discounts, e.g. for the train (Carte Jeune), sometimes museums are free.
- Don’t forget to include the costs of personal expenses such as cosmetics, clothes, phone, books etc.
Your master’s thesis is going to be financed by Nancy’s laboratories (ca. 550€/month). You can find more information here: