Take two out of four

Study in two languages

Within the AMASE Master you do not only gain valuable knowledge in Materials Science and Engineering, you also learn two of the four most widespread European languages.

You study with local students and get to know the culture of your host countries, increasing your later job opportunities.

Apply now!

Studying in Leoben

Welcome to MUL!

Entry and residence

EU/EEA and Swiss nationals can enter Austria without a visa or residence title. For stays longer than 3 months, EU/EEA nationals have to apply for an EU/EEA confirmation of registration („Anmeldebescheinigung“) at the local municipal authority (Bezirkshauptmannschaft Leoben) within the first 4 months of their stay.

Non-EU/EEA nationals who come to Austria for study-purposes, have to obtain a Residence Permit-Student to stay and study in Austria longer than 6 months. Please gather information about the requirements as soon as possible at the Austrian representative authority in your country of residence. You should apply for the permit at least 3 months before your desired arrival date to ensure a smooth start of your studies!

The Welcome Center can support you in finding the right visa or residence title, please get in touch well in advance.

Duration of StayVisa or Residence Title
up to 90 daysVisa C or visa free
91-180 daysVisa D
6+ monthsResidence Permit – Student

More information regarding visa and residence permit under following link.

AMASE students at MUL joining hands in the centre as a team during a sunny day with buildings and mountains as background.
Montanuniversität Leoben

Health insurance

EU/EEA citizens in Austria can apply for the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with their national health insurance provider.

Non EU/EEA citizens – stays of up to 6 months (with or without a visa): a travel health insurance is usually sufficient. Please bear in mind, however, that it must be valid in Austria and provide sufficient cover for different health issues (covering medical costs of more than 30,000 euros, including a guarantee to cover possible recovery and repatriation costs, and it must be valid for the whole duration of your stay in Austria).

Non EU/EEA citizens – stays of more than 6 months: Students from third countries will only get a residence title for staying for more than six months if they can provide proof of having a “health insurance covering all risks”.

In order to receive a residence permit (stay longer than 6 months), an Austrian health insurance is mandatory!

To find more information please consult the following website.


Leoben offers a wide range of housing possibilities. You can either rent a flat – alone or with others as a flat-share – or stay in one of the many halls of residence at Montanuniversität Leoben. We recommend that you apply promptly if you want a place in a hall of residence. 

Most international students live in one of Leoben’s student dormitories. The OeAD housing office is Austria’s main provider of accommodation for visiting international students and researchers from around the world.

Rental costs can vary depending on the individual room and residence, starting around 250 euros per month (bed in a double room with shared bathroom/kitchenette).

You can find more information on the different accomodation options under the following link.

Monthly living expenses in Leoben

Depending on personal lifestyles, you will need approximately 600 – 800€/month in Leoben.

  • Accommodation: Approx. 250 – 450€
  • Food: Grocery shopping approx. 200€
  • Local Transport: One-way Ticket  2.40€
  • Cinema: 11€
  • Don’t forget to include the costs of personal expenses such as cosmetics, clothes, phone, books etc. and additional activities such as sports, going out or vacations.

Have a look at the following webpage to know more about the life in Leoben! You can also download MUL Student Guidebook under this link.

Main building of Montanuniversitaet Leoben at night.
MUL Campus
Where AMASE students come from